Sunday, September 20, 2009

Yay for Verbs and Socratic circle!

This week in class was definitely an interesting one. I really enjoyed furthering my learning of verbs with the magnetic poetry activity. It really helped me to be able to see the words separately and identify what they were before putting them into a sentence. I guess I never realized or was taught about how there are different verbs and that they may function in a different way. I always kind of thought there were just verbs. I think the one I will struggle the most with is linking verbs. It is difficult to explain but I those verbs I have to take another look at to really remember what they are. I understand transitive verbs to require a direct object. The direct object can be any noun really correct? Intransitive verbs can stand alone but can also have modifiers if the writer chooses. I am excited to learn about verbs and to recognize them in every day writing and language.

We also had the Socratic circle this week. I must begin by saying, unlike most, I rather enjoyed being on the outer circle rather than the inner one. On the outside I got to observe and see a whole new perspective. It was interesting to me because I was not able to give any input which made me listen more carefully and actually think about what they were saying and where they were coming from. There was not much content to discuss so I really enjoyed how people brought up other ideas and stories about teaching and us as teachers. However, I did not like how we discussed writing only from a teacher’s view. Yes the article was about teaching writing but we ignored how writing can be explored by lack of structure. What I mean by that is writing can sometimes serve a purpose by just telling students to write. It opens up imagination and creativity. They do not always need to know the specific assignment or purpose of the writing. Overall I think the Socratic circle was an effective way to get us talking. Our group size was just right I think to keep the circle flowing effectively.




Question: Which verb sentence pattern do you think appears the most in every day language?

2 comments:

  1. oh for sure, the good ol' S-V-O...
    If it doesn't in a particular piece of writing (e.g., a lab report), then the piece will sound more formal and/or more abstract. We're going to play with this more later in the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh--and you also asked if a direct object is always a noun? Almost right. That or a pronoun.

    ReplyDelete