Saturday, March 6, 2010

Christine is Ida's sister/cousin?

What? Christine is really the daughter of Ida's aunt and father? That makes her like Ida's sister and cousin all at the same time. Wow, I really have to wrap my head around that one. I have to say that reading Ida's part of the book really did reveal a lot to the reader and I honestly didn't feel like she loved Christine any less than she loved Lee although Lee was really hers. I'm not sure I really understood Ida especially when she didn't tell Willard that it was his child but I think if a man had said I wasn't really pretty or smart but I was accepting I probably wouldn't want him staying around for very much longer either. The book somehow wrapped itself up though the three stories didn't necessarily come together in the end. One thing I would have liked to have seen happen would be for Ida's part to have included more of the present issues such as Christine being sick and abandoning Rayona. I think I now understand why Ida was so okay with taking care of Rayona because she had always been taking care of people and giving them love, understanding, and a place in the world. Overall, I loved the stories within this book and the perspectives only added to my understanding of the central issues present.

No comments:

Post a Comment