Sunday, February 28, 2010

How will it all end?

I am really enjoying the latest book we are reading in class, Yellow Raft in Blue Water. It is interesting to me that once again we are reading a book where the perspectives change from chapter to chapter. However, I feel like the amount of time passing is different in this book from Smoke Dancing because in Christine's part she is mostly talking about herself when she was younger. I still remain quite curious about how the title of the book really sums up the book, but I assume that it must be some kind of metaphor for perhaps all three of the characters Rayona, Christine, and Ida. I feel that each on of them is in a way in a middle of a lake surrouned by water because they are so out of reach by other characters in the book in a way. I'm confused as to how the book will come to the close when each section really does not seem to carry on with the same story. I wonder if I will simply be left with what I know about Rayona or if somehow in the end all three of their lives will come together and give some type of sense to the reader about the point of the entire story. Right now I really enjoy Rayona but I can't bring myself to have sympathy for Christine because it seems like since she was younger she has been one of the most selfish people in the book and she continues to be even when she becomes sick. As a reader I think it is easy to feel for Rayona and dislike Christine but I haven't made up my mind about Ida yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment