Monday, February 15, 2010

The book ends and the dance begins.

So if I am correct than this post should be on the reading from last week in which we finished Smoke Dancing. I have to say that I was in a way disappointed with the ending of the novel because I guess I wanted more to happen at the end. I don't feel that the reader is really given any more insight into the character of Fiction but perhaps that's how the author wanted it to be. I do however think that Fiction has regained some kind of identity for herself. She is no longer really defining herself how others do. We see this in how one of the last chapters is told by Patricia Tunny rather than her name Fiction. I think she has looked back on that part of her life and can finally be truly happy because she has shown her father that there are people who care about her and who will take her side over his. Also, Bud was shown for the true jerk he really is which I think gave her character closure in the end. As for Mason, I am interested to see what is in store for him and how he deals with the guidelines that tribe counsel has set up for him.
As for Almanac, I think we learned a great deal about the twins and their lives and how they became the way they are and we also learned some about Sterling and what exactly he did to be exiled. I'm very interested to find out more about Seese and her baby and what exactly happened with all that mess. I am beginning to see all the other stories that are present in this book which I think goes back to the whole oral tradition thing. These stories, even in the book seem to be passed on to others and I wonder how much they would change through these re-tellings.

No comments:

Post a Comment