Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Pedagogy

I am going to stray a little bit from discussing alignment because I think that it can be beneficial to discuss each element of the alignment separately also. Recently I've been thinking often about the pedagogy present in my classes. I think it can be interesting to first get into a class and think you know exactly how that professor teaches but then be surprised. For example, it is no secret that your friends may tell you what professors to take and why. Perhaps one never gives tests and only has group work, or maybe you hate group work so you love the professor who lectures and then just gives three tests. I know that for me when I think about what type of pedagogy I enjoy the most in a class I can't really choose one method. I much more prefer classes that give me the opportunity to work in groups, but also at times work on my own critical thinking. Though I do not enjoy as thoroughly the classes that consist mostly of lecture, at times I still feel engaged just listening and comprehending the material as it is taught to me. This probably has greatly to do with the fact that I have never really been able to say which type of learner I am above all other styles. I could say that I'm a visual learner but I know at times I am more auditory also. As teachers I think it's important to realize how much impact our own pedagogy can have on our students interests and engagement. Though it may be difficult to appeal to everyone, we must make effort to grown, learn, and adapt to our students' needs as well as our own.

1 comment:

  1. These are good observations. Noticing what kind of learner you are and what strategies work best for your learning will help you as a teacher have empathy for the varied styles of your students.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete