Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Ranking, Liking, and all that Jazz

Our discussion in class on grading opened my eyes to a few things. While reading the article I was interested in the whole idea of "liking" and how that may influence our grading and evaluating as teachers. When I think back to teachers I have had, on more than one occasion I can think of how discouraged I had been by seeing a letter grade on a piece of writing with no real explanation as to how the teacher had reached that judgment. I think more often than not we convince ourselves that we know what an "A" paper is versus a "B" and so on, that we forget that students are the people who really need to know what exactly those letters entail. The evaluation free zones could be helpful in a class I think especially when trying to help students at least grasp some confidence in their own writing. Although I would not say that we need to do away with ranking all together, I think when we do use ranking as teachers, it needs to be with great explanation and justification as well as trying to rank off of a variety of pieces of work rather than each individual assignment.

1 comment:

  1. Yes. I agree. Ranking is a process that is inevitable in evaluation. The point is to make sure that students are included in the conversation about what you consider success and what moves they need to make in order to get there.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete